Friday, June 25, 2010

Those ER Docs...

Well last time I talked about a hospital visit it was wonderful because I became an auntie and Nyah is just precious.

This time it's sad...

Last week Mim was having headaches, but they weren't unbearable and they went way after a few days, so she wasn't too concerned about it. But then yesterday she was driving up to see Kwiddens and Nyah and on the way she had another headache come on. This time it was unbearable. Just to give you an idea of how tough Mim is, she once had a nail go through her foot and then her brother just yanked it out and she didn't even cry. I would have been bawling, but that's not the point. Anyway, by the time she got to Kwiddens's house she was crying because she was hurting so bad, and the pain was starting to spread to her whole body. She also started to develop a fever, so Kwiddens gave her some Tylenol to see if that would lower her temperature and help with the pain, but the pain stayed and her temperature kept rising, so she gave her some ibuprofen, and same story. Her temperature got up to 102.8, so they took her into the emergency room around 8:00 last night.

When they got her there they did the usual: hook her up to IV fluids, get vitals and medical information, take urine and blood samples, then send them to the lab. And then we waited...and could have been the slowest lab technician in the world. After about three hours the results came back from those and they were clean, and her white blood count was totally normal, so the next thing was to do some x-rays. Those came back clean as well, so then they did a CT scan...also clean.

The suspicion was some kind of meningitis, since it manifested as a severe headache, then body aches with a sudden, high fever. So they then did a spinal tap, and Mim does NOT like needles so it was really really hard to watch her go through that...After another hour and a half they got the results of the spinal tap back, and big surprise, it was completely clear.

Medical mystery, that woman.

Anyway, they decided there really wasn't anything else they could do diagnostically, so they sent her home with instructions to drink lots of water and keep taking Tylenol and ibuprofen, and if it isn't gone in a few days they told her to come back to get an MRI. Fun times.

So Kwiddens and I got her and the cars back to Kwiddens's house, where Mim's van was parked, and we drove the van and my car down to Bob's house in Orem (the boyfriend...I'm not sure if I've mentioned him yet) where she would be able to crash and have someone keep an eye on her. Kwiddens and I then set off to IHOP, because I was STARVING, and the other option was tacos from Del Taco, since they're open 24 hours a day, and it was 4:00 in the morning...yes, they have one of those 4:00 thingies in the morning, can you believe it??

I did get to work on time though. I just went straight from dropping Kwiddens off to work, and I was actually there early, so I was able to get done very quickly, put in for a few hours of PTO, and go home and sleep.

There were only two good things about this entire incident:

1. Even though she was in terrible pain, Mim, Kwiddens and I had a blast just talking and keeping each other company. We're all cool like that.

2. This masterpiece:

Cheesecake pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream.

Plus the Rock Star, large cappuccino, two glasses of diet Pepsi, and diet Mountain Dew I had throughout the night and morning.

That was a crazy crash...


Kim said...

Cheesecake pancakes..mmmm...

I hope Mim feels better soon! Mystery illnesses suck.

Anna W said...

Oh wow, I can't even describe how delicious they were.

Unfortunately she got better for a day or so and then got sick again...we're keeping an eye on her.