Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Really Want A Donut

I came home yesterday after work and had an awful headache. It started while I was still at work, so I took some Tylenol and drank a lot of water, hoping it would go away. NO. So when I got home I just vegged on the couch, and at 6:00 I took a full dose of Nyquil.

Explanation: medicines that make people sleepy affect me much more strongly than they affect most people. If I take a full dose of Nyquil, I'm out cold for 10-12 hours, then I feel like a zombie for another 6-8 hours. Because of this, I have to take it quite early in the evening in order to be able to pry myself out of bed in the morning to get to work. I only take a full dose if I'm desperate.

Well, last night that headache had me desperate. It wasn't a migraine; I didn't have any light or sound sensitivity or nausea. It was just a wicked bad headache. So I took my Nyquil and decided to watch one more episode of Stargate, then crawl into bed before 7:00, but NO, Scott made me stay up through another episode. "Twelve hours of sleep is too much, even if you're feeling sick." Um, Scott, hello, my name is Anna. Nice to meet you. If I could have married sleep, I would have (and it's a good thing I couldn't because I really do love being married to Scottie).

So I felt so freaking groggy at work today. I was struggling to stay awake, even after taking a caffeine pill. Then, I was sitting at my desk and I saw someone walk into my office. I expected my boss or someone coming to ask me to do something, but I looked over and it was KWIDDENS! She had dropped by, thinking I might need a pick-me-up, and brought me a Diet Dr. Pepper! That's true love!

It totally made my day.

Even with that, though, I was still so tired, so when I got home I napped. I should have known better. I should have done my best to stick it out, because now, after I went to bed at the normal time, I've been tossing and turning for hours now and I can't get comfortable, and my nose is stuffy, and I can't sleep and it's driving me insane. I don't regret taking the Nyquil; that headache was so bad that I don't think Tylenol alone would have done it, and I needed something to knock me out so I could ignore the pain. I just wish my sleep schedule weren't so easy to screw up.

2 comments:

magnolia said...

sleep is an elusive little minx in my life, too. of late, the culprit has been a series of wild, crazy and extremely vivid dreams that keep me either awake or just-not-quite-asleep for most of the night. gaaah.

Kim said...

That was so nice of Kwiddens! What a gem!

I have felt the same way for the past two days (plus today). Headaches galore and tired. This weather constantly shifting back and forth doesn't help either.