Saturday, June 4, 2011

Round Two...

Sorry for the longish absence. I'm losing blogging steam...

So I dropped Baby Pink Tablet, right? Well, Scott tried to fix it but something shorted out when it fell (we think) so getting the touch screen operational just wasn't going to happen. I stuck it on eBay and got $50 out if it for parts, so it's not a total loss...

Scott got online and pulled up several tablets he thought would be good as a replacement. I wanted another one badly, but I felt so bad about breaking the first one. The thing that came to mind was when we were little and something would get broken or dirty and Mim would say "This is why we can't have nice things!" Did anyone else's parents say that? Talk about a guilt trip.

Anyway, so I was reluctant to invest in another one but Scott convinced me, of course, and helped me choose another one. I could have gotten another of the same one, but Scott said that for just a little bit more money we could get one with a bigger screen and a faster processor. I figured that an 8" screen couldn't be that much bigger than the 7" screen, so went for it.

It came in the mail and I was in the middle of my "everything either makes me cry or pisses me off" phase (which is wearing off quite nicely, FINALLY), so when I started messing around with it and a few things were different, I got frustrated pretty quickly. The biggest thing that was bugging me was the size difference. It's actually quite a bit bigger than the last one and MUCH heavier, and I was not very happy about that. I mean, the old one was about the size and weight of a book, and the e-reader was the biggest reason I wanted it.

I'm getting used to it, though.

Speaking of the e-reader, the old one had one built in that was SO PERFECT. I had assumed this new tablet would have one built in, as well, but it didn't. Oh well. It has the entire Android market, so I hopped on there and started looking for an e-reader I would like. I downloaded like ten, and all of them sucked. Majorly. Finally, I was almost in tears, and I found another one and it seemed almost as perfect as the one I had before, but now that I've used it I think it's even better.

I have like a million books now. Having that many books (and all free!) makes me feel more educated, even though I haven't read them yet. A lot of them are books I've read before but a long time ago, like in high school, and I'd like to refresh my memory. If only I could get the Harry Potter books on there...sigh...

Scott had me download Angry Birds to see what the fuss was all about, and then I never saw the tablet again. The end.

Just kidding. But he has worn the battery down twice playing the game. Good thing I still have my laptop, so I'm not completely disconnected from the outside world...

Anyway, I don't plan on dropping this one. And now that I'm used to it (and not in constant panic mode) I like it very much. It's not pink, but that's okay.

And Scott gets mega brownie points for letting me have another one, even though I'm obviously not good at taking care of my stuff.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad the new tablet came! i didn't think i'd like an e-reader, honestly, but i don't miss hard-copy books half as much as i thought i would...

Anna W said...

I know! I thought I'd miss the way real pages felt, and smelled...I know it's weird, but I like the smell of the glue they use in books. But it turns out I like it digital. Who knew? Plus there's the added bonus of having as many books as you want without any extra bulk. There's an entire library of classics, right inside my purse.

Kim said...

Yeay!!!!

When I bought my Kindle I was still on the fence about e-readers. Now, I find them so much more convenient. I love books, but my e-reader is precious.