Thursday, February 25, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

So I've made a few decisions lately. One involving yarn and one involving food.

We'll see if they hold...

On the yarn front, I've looked through my yarn and I have quite a stash (not nearly as much as some people do, but for me this is a lot) and I think I should not buy more yarn unless 1. It is my birthday (next Thursday) or 2. I need it to make a specific project and don't have anything suitable to sub with in the stash. I know I have enough sock yarn for at least ten pairs, so that's something.

The food decision comes from my learning about myself. Over the past year and a half I have been dieting and trying to figure out why I eat the way I eat and trying desperately to eat more vegetables and less...well, less CRAP.

Aside: Something like ten years ago Mim realized she had an addiction to chocolate. She realized she was eating it all the time, and it was stressing her out that she wasn't as fit as she would like and she felt bad for eating so much of it (looking back, I can definitely say she had a problem. It wasn't like, "Oh, I shouldn't eat some chocolate every day", it was more like, "Oh, I should not eat a ten pound bag of chocolate chips"). She decided to just never eat chocolate again. And she did. Well, I mean she didn't. She went through with her decision, and she has been healthier and slimmer since. And it's amazing! She just says no and that's that.

I think I am going to take this approach with some foods. I've learned about myself that I can't portion. I like eating, and I like eating a lot. I start eating something and sometimes I can't stop myself, even if I feel sick. Something about feeling totally full makes me feel better (while feeling worse at the same time...it's complicated) and I need to get past the need to feel like that (I should probably start seeing a therapist again, but THAT'S EXPENSIVE).

So my first order of business?

I am never going to eat french fries again.

Never.

I am determined.

I think that since I usually have fries while I am eating a burger, it would he helpful for me to not eat burgers anymore either.

So, no burgers and no fries.

Eventually maybe I will add more to that list but I think this is a good starting point.

1 comment:

Kim said...

It's good to start somewhere. I once cut out regular pop--I used to drink a TON of it. Ever since then I've felt better. One thing at a time.